Indoor locating using radio signals
Locating mobile devices indoors using available ambient signals is a technique to estimate devices’ locations that relies on the presence, in a venue, of sources of radio signals (WiFi access points and/or iBeacons).
To understand how this indoor navigation technology works keep in mind that inside a building where there are Wi-Fi networks and/or BLE beacons, we are constantly surrounded by radio signals. Each radio signal signal source emits its own identifier, and the strength of each signal is a function of distance to the source and the physical obstacles that lie in between. Consequently, the signals (and their strengths) available by the window are quite different from those by the elevator, or when walking down a hallway or inside a room. This “geographic” variability of signals and strengths throughout a venue can be used to correlate specific locations inside the venue with detectable ambient signals.
A big advantage of our indoor navigation technology based on ambient radio signals is that
it does not require the installation of additional hardware in the environment
if there are already enough radio signals.
Accuware Indoor Navigation
Accuware Indoor Navigation engine makes use of the ambient radio signals (Wi-Fi access points and/or iBeacons) to provide an average radius of accuracy of:
- 1 meter when the technology is integrated inside your App using the Accuware Indoor SDK available for Android/iOS smartphones, tablets, smartwatches
- 3 meters when the technology is integrated inside your web or mobile application using the Accuware Indoor “locate” API call available for any smartphone, tablet, smartwatch (e.g. Windows 10 Mobile, BlackBerry 10)
Overview of the setup steps
Here is an overview of all the steps that must be followed in order to setup and test Accuware Indoor Navigation:
- Plan the installation by verifying to have enough radio signals (Wi-Fi access points and/or iBeacons) inside the area that will contain the devices that will have to benefit from the Indoor Navigation engine.
- Choose a reference system that will be used to perform the fingerprinting process and during the test phase to visualize the locations of the devices that are using the Indoor Navigation engine.
- Perform the fingerprinting of the venue of interest using the Accuware Indoors App for Android/iOS. During the fingerprinting process the Accuware Indoors App will automatically scan and upload (to a database on the Accuware server) the fingerprints of the radio signals sensed at multiple known locations of your venue.
- Test the performances of the Indoor Navigation engine using the same Accuware Indoors App used for the fingerprinting process.
- Integrate the Indoor Navigation engine inside your own mobile App using the Accuware Indoors SDK (for iOS/Android) or using our Accuware Indoors “locate” API call (on any platform capable of using RESTful API).
- Install your mobile App on all the devices that will have to benefit from our powerful indoor navigation system.
During the usage of your mobile App the the Accuware Indoor Navigation engine will use the snapshots of the radio signals collected in real-time at the device’s current location and after a pattern-matching against the database of fingerprints (created during the fingerprinting phase), it will estimate the device’s location making it available as a pair of latitude and longitude.
In order to get the most out of this technology, please read carefully the whole documentation available in the left sidebar. If you have problems or doubts, please submit a support request using this form. We will be pleased to help you achieve your goals and get the most out of the Accuware technologies!